Mandarin is the national language of China and Chinese is the most widely spoken language in the world. By learning Mandarin you will be able to speak with more people than any other language- including English.
Mandarin is comparatively spoken by fewer non-Chinese than most European languages spoken by non-natives of their respective countries. That means there is a greater demand for Chinese since fewer Westerners are able to speak it.
China is rapidly becoming a world economic power as it opens its doors to foreign investment expands its infrastructure. Those who know Chinese will be valuable to business. The Chinese population is rapidly expanding its online presence. It will become increasingly useful for online communication.
Chinese is important for your career!
1. International businesses prefer to hire people who speak more than one language. China has become a huge market, and business leaders are looking for people who can speak Chinese and operate successfully in a Chinese cultural context.
2. Knowing Chinese may give you an edge when competing for an important position.
3. China will play a major role in world affairs in the future. As China now has opened up to the West, there are opportunities for employment in all areas.
4. China is a wonderful country in which to teach English while developing your language and cultural skills. The experience is great, and it’s something you will never forget.
What you might already know
1. China is one of the world’s oldest and richest continuous cultures, over 5000 years old.
2. China is the most populous nation in the world, with 1.36 billion people.
3. One fifth of the planet speaks Chinese. Mandarin Chinese is the mother tongue of over1.1 billion people, making it the most widely spoken first language in the world.
4. In addition to the People’s Republic of China and Taiwan, Mandarin Chinese is also spoken in the important and influential Chinese communities of Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, the Philippines, and Mongolia.
5. China now is the second largest economy in the world.
6. China is one of largest trading partners of many countries.
7. Many foreign companies do business in China and have long-term investments there.